Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Architecture Wednesday: 25 Verde by Luciano Pia

Okay, so it’s not a house, or even a treehouse; it’s a … tree apartment house?

Located in Turin, Italy, and designed by Luciano Pia, 25 Verde is made of steel and wood, but planted with trees and shrubs to bring a forest into a barren section of the city.

Pia designed the building as a living forest, a house on the trees like the houses children dream of and sometimes build.

And even better, because of the trees and shrubs planted everywhere, on every level, every corner, every rooftop, the building is alive: it grows up, it breaths and it changes since 150 trees on the building and the 50 trees planted in the courtyard produce oxygen, absorb carbonic anhydride, cut down air pollution, protect from noise, follow the natural cycle of seasons, grow up day after day and create a perfect microclimate inside the building.

The slats in the solid wood floors of the terraces filter sunlight in summer, keeping things cool, while in winter they let much-needed light into each unit. And the building sits on metal structures that look like trees and “grow” from the ground floor to the roof while holding up the terraces: they become entwined with the vegetation to form a unique façade.

And due to this special brand of architecture, the entire building is energy efficient via continuous insulation, sun protection, heating and cooling systems that make use of the geothermal energy with heat pumps and the recycling of the falling rain to water the green spaces.

There are 63 residences in the building, each one unique, with wide terraces of irregular shapes that surround the trees; the top floor is covered with a live green roof.

You feel like you’re in a treehouse … a truly green treehouse.

7 comments:

  1. I kind of like it and kind of don't. My first thought was, spiders (not a great selling point for me)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Deedles. I kind if think it looks cool and chic, and then when I look back, it looks like a run down tenement. But only when viewed over all. In bits and pieces it actually very calming. I wonder what the individual pied de terre's look like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @maddie- Thank you! I can always count on you to put your finger right on the problem :) I thought that it looked kind of like a building project that lost its funding and is now overgrown with plants. I'm still thinking spiders, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MM
    I tried so hard to find images inside the units but couldn't.
    One day, though,I'd like to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Would love to see what an interior looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thoughts align with Deedles and Mistress Maddie. But not just spiders, Deedles, I'd be concerned about any number of bugs who like to chomp on bark and leaves, and although I like them—birds making their homes...wherever.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......