Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Architecture Wednesday: The Cylinder House

It’s totally tubular, man.

This unique construction is located in the woods outside Lyon, France. The architect chose the tubes, or cylinders, to make the house fits easily between the trees. From the outside it looks like a cluster of cylinders that come together to form a wavy and transparent structure but this system of cylinders allows the house to become larger and to have a fuzzy external delimitation of the house with its context. There are no defined corridors in the interior, so the variable heights of the tubes have been used to establish the partitions between each space.

It’s not for everyone, it might be for no one, but it is very unique in that “Beam me up, Scotty” kind of way.

7 comments:

  1. If you're going to live in a test tube monstrosity, give it some pizzazz! Throw out the neutral colored furniture. This place is screaming for red! Okay, that's probably me doing all the screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be screaming if that was my house! And not in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok....I shouldn't like this...way to modern....But I actually LOVE THIS ONE! Very chic and clean looking. I'm ready for my part on Logan's Run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Expensive windows to replace I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... and with some interesting visuals. But, I'd tire of it really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking this makes a great case for "Form follows function". I find the tubes/columns far too overpowering, but the element that disturbs me more is the windows. When glass is curved that acutely, it visually distorts...acutely. This sort of defeats that fantastic natural setting...or the visual enjoyment of it. As Mitchell is Moving commented above, I'd tire of this one fast.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......