Tuesday, June 14, 2016

SC Congressman Mick Mulvaney Wants To Talk Video Games and Movies But Not Guns

Yesterday, in my anger and frustration, I wrote to South Carolina Senators Graham and Scott, as well as Congressman Mick Mulvaney.

So far, only Mulvaney has responded; here's what he said about Orlando:
"June 13, 2016
Dear Mr. Slatten,
Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control in light of the recent tragedy in Orlando, Florida. This is a very important issue and I am glad to hear your thoughts.
As a parent, I cannot even begin to imagine - and indeed, do not want to imagine - the loss the families in Orlando have suffered. My thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with the victims' friends and families of this tragedy.
Seeking to lay blame after an inexplicable tragedy is a natural and normal reaction, and such is obviously the case with the recent massacre of the innocents in Orlando, Florida. As we struggle to arrive at explanations for the inexplicable, and to lay blame, I hope we focus first and foremost on the individual responsible. To the extent the discussion moves toward broader societal issues, I hope we look at more than just gun control.
We must, as a nation, be willing to talk about mental health, the glamorization of violent video games and movies, the true cost of broken homes, and the general culture of death that permeates our society. Any attempt to single out our constitutional protections and liberties as a cause of this tragedy would be misplaced.
Again, thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further concerns.
Sincerely,
Mick Mulvaney
Member of Congress"
Yes, as you can see he wants to "talk" about mental health issues ... he worries about violent video games and movies, broken homes.

He DOES NOT think we need do ANYTHING about gun control.

He wants to, what, legislate movies and video games, but not worry about loopholes where anyone can buy an arsenal.

But then a simple 1.3 second Google search reveals that Mick Mulvaney received an A+ rating from the NRA and is an NRA candidate.

No wonder he doesn't worry about gun control or dead Americans.

Take a minute, if you live here, or don't, and write, call or fax Mick Mulvaney and tell him that he works for THE PEOPLE OF SOUTH CAROLINA and NOT the NRA.

2419 Rayburn HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-5501
Fax (202) 225-0464

1456 Ebenezer Rd
Rock Hill, SC
(803) 327-1114
F (803) 327-4330 
531-A Oxford Dr
Sumter, SC
(803) 774-0186
F (803) 774-0188

5 comments:

  1. Back in the day when I worked in public health I went to a seminar and the speaker told us that, if you write a physical letter to a legislator, it 'counts' for more points in an issue because you took the time and energy and money for a stamp to get your point across.
    fwiw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fuckwads in DC have not even responded. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple things bother me. " I hope we focus first and foremost on the individual responsible" While we have learned of important fact, HE'S DEAD. Move on to getting gun control now, and straggle NRA. Second, movies and videos games?!?! While they can be violent, and Im not a expert by any means, I don't know many of these terrorist were influenced by videos games and movies to my knowledge. And Third, when I was with the ex boy toy, he was our state rep'S chief of staff, and then our State Senators. While the rep did pride herself on reading most of her mail and answering it, my ex, did at times read and write her response.But that was very uncommon. the senator never read any mail. He told me that probably 80% never even see the letter, which to me is very sad indeed. One thing I took from the ex.....he really opened my eyes to what goes go behind closed doors. If he did in fact write that letter, that does sound good at all. Or hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mental health often seems to be an issue with most mass killings, but Florida's refusal to allow doctors to ascertain whether their mentally ill patients own guns is surely a retrogressive step in the fight to reduce mass killings

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further concerns."

    ... And I will be very happy, once again, to complete ignore them.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......