Friday, April 04, 2014

I Didn't Say It ....

David Cameron, British Prime Minister David Cameron, on the new marriage equality in the UK: 

"The introduction of same-sex civil marriage says something about the sort of country we are. It says we are a country that will continue to honour its proud traditions of respect, tolerance and equal worth. It also sends a powerful message to young people growing up who are uncertain about their sexuality. It clearly says ‘you are equal’ whether straight or gay. That is so important in trying to create an environment where people are no longer bullied because of their sexuality – and where they can realise their potential, whether as a great mathematician like Alan Turing, a star of stage and screen like Sir Ian McKellen or a wonderful journalist and presenter like Clare Balding. We are a nation that is growing stronger economically because of our long term economic plan. But I hope we can also be a country that is growing stronger socially because we value love and commitment equally. Let us raise a toast to that – and all those getting married this weekend.”

I wish we could have a day like that, where our president could toast to all same-sex marriages in every state in the union.
So, the march goes on …
Trinity K. Bonet, revealing he's HIV+ on RuPaul's Drag Race:

“I came on this show with a mission because I am HIV-positive. I was diagnosed in August 2012, and I have so much to live for. I have so many goals and aspirations that I want to conquer in my life, so I’m not going to let an obstacle get in the way. And I wanted to come on this show, and I wanted to be that voice for people who are scared to speak out about that. ... I’m hoping that by sharing this that I will be affecting somebody’s life. And I’m hoping, by sharing my story, that I will inspire others and that they will take it and maybe apply it to themselves. ... It's not a disease, it's just a situation. I get up in the morning, I take my vitamin E, I take my fish oils and then I pop my pill and that's the end of that. I have to remember, 'Bitch, you're here for a reason. The main reason why I came here is I’m here for all those people so that you have somebody that you can look up to. There are people out there who love you and who support you. And if you don’t have anybody know that I love you and I support you. You have somebody that you can lean on."

I’m so happy that the stigma of being HIV+ is diminishing. We have so many people affected who are living longer, who are living, and we need to make sure that those newly infected realize that.
It isn’t a death sentence any more.
James Manning, Harlem "Pastor," on how the white gays moved to Harlem to indoctrinate Black men into homosexuality:

"The white homo who now lives in the [Harlem] community, and there are a lot of them that moved up here, they brought their restaurants, they brought some of their lifestyle, they brought their Starbucks coffee with them and like anybody else, they prey on black men, they convert black men. Not only those who live here, but in the office buildings all over New York City and places around America where homosexuals have supervisory positions."

Wow, we brought restaurants and Starbucks to Harlem? Just so we can convert Black men to the Homosexual Lifestyle?
Who knew all it took was a decent meal and a Double Venti Frappucino?
Or I guess we just get jobs in upper management so we can turn all our subordinates into The Gays.
Brendan Eich, Mozilla CEO, on the outrage over his donation to the Prop 8 campaign: 

"I know there are concerns about my commitment to fostering equality and welcome for LGBT individuals at Mozilla. I hope to lay those concerns to rest, first by making a set of commitments to you. More important, I want to lay them to rest by actions and results. ... I know some will be skeptical about this, and that words alone will not change anything. I can only ask for your support to have the time to “show, not tell”; and in the meantime express my sorrow at having caused pain."

I’ll give him a hot minute, but I’ll be watching because he's never said his position regarding Prop H8 and same-sex marriage has changed.
UPDATE: After the news broke yesterday that Eich supported bot Pat Buchannan--a racist, anti-Semitic homophobe--and Ron Paul, he stepped down as CEO.
Elaine Stritch, on her intense platonic relationship with Rock Hudson: 

"Did we have an affair? No. He was nuts about me, and I felt it, knew it. And I was madly in love with this gorgeous guy. But I couldn't have reacted in any real way because I don't think he was truly in love with me. I think he just loved me and loved that we had fun and loved to be with me. ... Anybody that dates you all the time, wants to be with you all the time, takes you out everywhere - he had a good time with me. You know what I'm talking about. And there's nobody who says that gay guys don't have fun with women, because they do!"

Some of my best friends are The Women!
David B. Oakley, the lawyer defending Virginia's ban on same-sex marriage:

"For example, if the definition of marriage is no longer based on procreation or the ability to procreate naturally, then what is the purpose in prohibiting marriage between persons of close kinship? Would it then be unconstitutional for two brothers who are confirmed bachelors and live together to marry so that they could own property as tenants by the entireties, file joint tax returns, qualify for health benefits, and obtain better insurance rates?"

First off, for example, marriage is not solely about procreation because if that were true we wouldn’t have single mothers and fathers having children without being married; and if this was true we also would not allow the elderly to marry because they can no longer procreate, and we wouldn’t let the infertile marry either.
And the idea that letting two men marry means brothers will marry one another is the most bassackward thing to say.
But then Oakley is from Virginia …
Karl Lagerfeld, on selfies

"They are this horrible thing where you are distorted. The chin is too big, the head is too small. No, this is electronic masturbation."

I guess this means we will never see a Lagerfeld selfies, and for that I am eternally grateful.

6 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Bravo for David Cameron with his sensible statement on same-sex marriage in the United Kingdom. Then there are those like James Manning, the Harlen "Pastor" who is so unbelievable ignorant about the power of "the gays" to indoctrinate and change straights to the "lifestyle." I have two brothers and one (former) good friend who believes the same. And the former friend is concerned that people will now "marry their pets" (his quote) that same sex marriage is legal. Unbelievably stupid. Good riddances to Brendan Eich. Karl Lagerfeld, I'm speechless. On no, maybe I'm not. What a diouche.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend and I were talking about the selfies and how uncomfortable most of them made us. They are taken within the zone of space we usually don't penetrate. I would never get up that close to any of my friends to talk unless giving a buss or hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't caught this news about Eich stepping down. Rejoice! It's made my day, especially since I've been investigating how to change from Firefox to Chrome on this decrepit old computer without losing all my stored info. But I'll keep the option open just in case the issue doesn't resolve satisfactorily.

    Re: Cameron and his views on equal marriage. This is little short of a miracle coming from a Conservative Prime Minister (though he didn't carry the majority of his party with him, but not overwhelmingly so, which itself was also reassuring). I've been wondering if and how Fox News reported it - and whether they regard him, despite his leading a right-wing party, as just another 'pinko-liberal which, if so, is so far from the truth in other areas it's just a joke.
    Btw: A few months ago he actually apologised for the anti-gay legislation of Mrs Thatcher's government, despite his being one of her biggest admirers. Wonders never cease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Cameron did say that he regretted introducing the legislation allowing gay marriage; but then he was talking to his own party who were turning against him. The Tory beast is not that far different from the Republican beast

    ReplyDelete
  5. With people like James Manning you have to wonder which drives them most-- their hate or their stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stuck at James Manning... I'm trying to figure out why the "white homo who now lives in the community," only brought "SOME of their lifestyle..."

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......