Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Two-Cents On ... Phil Robertson

I’ve never seen ‘Duck Dynasty’ before so Phil Robertson is new to me; and now he’s news to me. But, as you all know by now, Phil gave an interview in the January issue of GQ in which he says some awful things about The Gays, and now The Gays and The Gay Friendlies are up in arms while the conservatives and the Mama Grizzly Bores™ are standing behind the guy with the beard — and no, not Santa this time.

It all began with this:
“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”
Okay, it’s the typical wingnut not-so-straight line of thinking that homosexuality leads to bestiality and adultery and all kinds of sins. We’ve heard that before; it’s nothing the new. It’s the same argument these types of so-called ‘Christians’ have been hurling at us for years and years.

I’m not so much offended by it as I am mystified that people are still spewing this lunacy, but then Phil dives in … to the vagina:
“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”
Okay, again I am not offended. Phil doesn’t like the anus, but he’s a great cheerleader for the vagina. Good for him; but there are some for whom the vagina is not the playground for, and some for whom the anus is No Man’s Land. Again, I’m not offended by what he said; it’s what he thinks and he has a right to say what he wants.

Now, there are some who say he has no right to say these things in “the public square’ like in a magazine, but last time I checked there weren’t limits on Free Speech. It’s not Free in your own home, and less Free in a magazine; there aren’t levels of Free Speech; it’s Free.

But, odd as it seems, Free does come with a cost, and the cost for Phil Robertson is that the A&E network, which airs ‘Duck Dynasty’ has suspended him; not fired him, but given him a bit of a time-out. And that’s the cost of Free Speech; he’s not out of a job, he’s, well, to paraphrase Ross to Rachel, on a break:
"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series 'Duck Dynasty'. His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."
I don’t like what he said, in fact I hate it. It’s disgusting, demeaning, nasty, vile and hate-filled, but it’s his right to have that opinion. Just as it is my right to say that Phil Robertson is what’s wrong with so-called Christians who use their mouths to spew hate and then try to hide it under the guise of the Bible. And I am allowed to say 'Thank You A&E' for suspending Phil Robertson indefinitely for what he said because if you didn’t, well then I might think you agree with Phil Robertson and I might begin watching less of you and more of someone else.

And before anyone tries to compare Phil Robertson statements to shouting ‘Fire’ in a crowded theater, let me remind you that no Gays were harmed, physically, by what he said. So it’s not the same thing.

He said what he felt, and what he has a right to say, while I say what I fell and have a right to say. Phil Robertson, to me, is the furthest thing from a Christian. Phil Robertson is judging, and there’s that whole ‘Judge not’ business in the Bible. Phil Robertson is talking about The Gays and the sin of being gay but all sin is equal in the eyes of God. So if being gay is a sin — and naturally I disagree with Phil and many others on that — then being a judgmental moron hiding behind a camouflage jacket and the Bible so he can spew my illiterate raciest and homophobe BS is an equal sin.

And Phil Robertson should check himself before casting the first stone next time.

If he gets a next time.

8 comments:

  1. Simply Brilliant! You've absolutely nailed this response. Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Robert
    Thanks. I just get so tired of people, even The Gays, saying people don't have the right to say certain things.
    It was reprehensible, but if we censor reprehensible speech we'd have to all be silent for a great deal of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never watched the show but know of it. And am glad Youngest Son decided to shave his beard right after Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The arrogant assumptions of people of so many of this bloke's ilk never ceases to amaze me:-

    1) That not only we all supposed to be theists/Christians but we all subscribe to his version of Christianity. NO alternative is possible!

    2) Gays are all anally-fixated. I'm sure that some are - but I've known a great many that weren't. And of course we all know that anal M/F intercourse simply NEVER takes place, does it? If it did then they'd be just as quick to condemn it, would they not?

    Could go on but got to watch my blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caught this on Facebook this morning, actually managed to keep out of it.(that's an accomplishment for me!)I don't watch the show, never have and never will. I respect the right of free speech, I think it is one of our greatest rights, but some people just prove their ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good piece on Phil and who is this Sharif?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob,
    I work at my friends diner here in the mountains. I would love to inform many of the clientele that they are ignorant morons, thereby exercising my right to free speech, but I don't because it would damage his business. If I did he would not only be well within his rights to fire me, but would be a fool not too.

    A&E knows their demographic and has the right to run its business as it sees fit. The only constitutional question with this whole thing is: "Why do so many people (especially on the right), not understand the first amendment?"

    PS, They don't understand the second amendment either, so at least they're consistent...

    PSS, I think I'll stay out of the dining room today..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've said it a hundred million times ... WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIRE RUSH LIMBAUGH!!!!!????!!!!! THAT is who REALLY needs to be fired. I HATE RUSH LIMBAUGH.

    XOXO
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......