Thursday, August 08, 2013

Troye Sivan Comes Out ... Rod Snyder, Too

Troye Sivan, the 18-year-old actor who played young James Howlett, AKA Wolverine) in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, has come out as gay in a video he posted to his YouTube account:
"On August 7, 2010 I told my family that I am gay. And on August 7, 2013 I want you guys to know that I am gay. It feels kind of weird to have to announce it like this on the internet but I feel like a lot of you guys are genuine friends of mine. I share everything with the internet. Whether or not that's a good thing I don't know but this is not something that I'm ashamed of..."
There is nothing to be ashamed of; you're a gay man. Big deal.

But the big deal is that you're out and proud and open.

We need more of that.

Naturally, as we do here at HOMO HQ, we are sending a copy of The Gay Agenda and the Coming Out Toaster Oven.

Welcome out Troye.

Lotsa folks wanted Wolverine to be gay, or at least Hugh Jackman and his Huge Ackman, to be gay, but now we have you.

Welcome out.

Rod Snyder, president of the Young Democrats of America [YDA] has also come out as gay in a he posted to the YDA website [HERE]:
I’m proud of the work that YDA has done in recent years on LGBT rights, whether it was our fight for the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” our push for employment non-discrimination laws at the federal and state levels, or the remarkable strides toward full marriage equality across the country.
But in the midst of all this historic progress, I’ve never taken the opportunity to tell my own story – that I am a Christian, an American, a West Virginian, a Young Democrat, a rural advocate, a singer-songwriter, a brother, a son, a grandson, a nephew, an uncle, and a gay man.
While society is evolving at a breathtaking pace, there are still many places like my home state of West Virginia where I could be fired from a job or evicted from an apartment simply because of the person I love.  I can’t sit by quietly and leave this fight for equality to others.  This is my fight.
Robert F. Kennedy once said, “Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events; and in the total, of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.” 
The LGBT rights movement is being written and advanced one personal story at a time – in living rooms and churches and schools and city halls and even the Supreme Court.  Today I’m choosing to add mine to this long and courageous narrative.  If my story changes even “a small portion of events,” then it is worth telling.
Welcome out, Rod, and please accept as our gift, a copy of The Gay Agenda and the obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven.

Coming out is a process that we each take on, and make, at our own pace; the only thing we need to understand is that we all must come out in order to show the world our faces, to make the world understand our dreams and goals and desires, our want of equality.

You’ve made that first step, and I’m sure you’ll inspire others to follow suit.

Welcome out.

2 comments:

  1. The flood gates have opened, unleashing a torrent of lgbt goodness! And still the world turns, gravity is operational, and birds sing, see homo haters? You were wrong, nothing whatsoever has changed, except more acceptance of diversity in another facet.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......