Thursday, April 04, 2013

Citizens Of Georgia Town Are Required By Law To be Armed


Carlos and I have had many discussions on guns, gun owners, gun rights, gun laws, gun control; why people have them at all. And, while I can’t see myself ever owning a gun, I do respect the rights of people who choose to own them, responsibly, though I long for stricter controls on who can buy a gun, what kinds of guns and ammunition, and where, and background checks. Which is why this story, although it comes from Georgia, is utterly ridiculous in my mind.

The town of Nelson, Georgia, about 50 miles north of Atlanta, has passed a law that requires, REQUIRES, its citizens to own a gun and ammunition; it’s gonna be the law! And one moronic councilman says that arming every citizen, by force of law, is akin to putting a security sign in your front yard to deter criminals.

Now, to be fair, you won’t get penalized if you don’t have a gun, and you can ‘opt out’ of owning weapons, and, well, luckily, if you’re a felon or a nutjob this law doesn’t apply to you, but the law does state that it requires the head of every household to own a gun and ammo to “provide for the emergency management of the city” and “provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”

Lawmakers in this backwoods, back-water cesspool of inbred insanity say their new law is meant to pre-empt any future attempt by the federal government to confiscate guns, even though no one with a brain that fires on all cylinders thinks that the feds will do that, or even could do that. The ordinance passed 5-0 on Monday night and takes effect in 10 days.
Councilman Duane Cronic—“Some people have security systems, some people don’t, but they put those signs up. I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city.”
Heath Mitchell, Nelson’s only police officer, says that since his town is far from the two nearest sheriff’s offices, having a gun would help people protect themselves. Or shoot someone.

One cool head in Nelson belongs to Lamar Kellett, who spoke against the law at the last hearing; he the ordinance was pointless: “People who want a gun, they already have one probably. There’s been no violent crime in Nelson in the past 10 years. So how are you going to improve on no violent crime?”

I don’t see an improvement; I see falling IQs and rising crime.

8 comments:

  1. another mind boggling moment.
    I have weapons in my house for when The Engineer is out of town - they are called Tar and Abby. Just try and get past them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it not ionic that he councilman's named is "Cronic"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morons! No need for me to go into the arguments against gun ownership, but it's appalling that these idiots would spend time and taxpayer money to pass a law that "requires" everyone to own a gun ... unless, of course, you don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMBWTeverlovinFBBQ?!?

    is there NO common sense any more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If my town ever gets that nuts, I'm moving. I think the whole thing is asinine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My....what foolish humans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stupid in my neighborhood spreads thick like cream cheese on a bagel, as you can see...

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......