Friday, March 30, 2012

Good News Friday: A Starbucks Boycott Backfires


I don't drink a lot of coffee. Carlos and I usually have one cafe con leche with breakfast and then we're good for the day. But I do enjoy stopping in at Starbucks every so often for a little cappuchino and a nosh.
And, well, now I love it even more--even if the closest Starbucks is 27 miles away. It might well be worth the drive.
And, apparently, I'm not the only one feeling the love.
After confronting Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz at last week's annual Starbucks shareholders' meeting, a furious Maggie Gallgaher from the National Organization for Marriage [NOM] announced an international boycott against the  company because, as Maggie slobberred, "purchasing a cup of Starbucks equals support for gay marriage."
Uh-oh. Sounds bad. Except.
"We're not seeing any impact," says Starbucks spokesman Zack Hutson. 
In fact, it appears that NOM's attack has endeared Starbucks to the public. The company has risen significantly since the "boycott" and sales are way up. Plus, by as margin of almost 10-to1, more people have thrown their support, via an internet Thank You to sStarbucks than have pledged to join a NOM boycott.
And that sends a message to other Fortune 500 companies that defending LGBT rights, and marriage equality, is safe political ground, and good for business.
Now, suddenly, NOM isn't talking. But that may have to do with certain documents revealing the underhanded way that organoizatyoion works having been released. So, they're on the defensive now. They could use a coffee break. Too bad they have no place to go.

5 comments:

  1. Bob: Did you see the "rescheduled" interview with Mags on MSNBC? She had a smirk on her face during the whole "denial" process... I think JMG had the link on his page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in WA, home to Starbucks, I have a Starbucks in my grocery store, one next door in the parking lot, one in my Barnes and Noble book store and one next door to that in the mall. We have nooo trouble being supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly6:15 PM

    I buy their coffee for brewing at home. I have always liked the house blend. and now I have an even BIGGER reason to support starbucks; they stand up to bullies like NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Maggie Gallgaher is a piece of ringworm filth! I 'll tell ya where she can recieve her coffee beans!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end of NOM!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......