Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Rebeca is King! Haleigh is Queen!

At last week's pep rally at Patrick Henry High School in San Diego, Rebeca Arellano was named the school's homecoming king, and at the dance the following night, Rebecca's girlfriend, Haleigh Adams, was declared Homecoming Queen. And that sits very well with the students and the school.
Rebeca was stunned by the sheers that came along with the announcement that she would be king of the dance, and was even more thrilled that Haleigh would be Queen, writing on Facebook: "I was happier than when I won, my little Haleigh has just been announced Homecoming queen and I couldn't feel happier! Thanks to every single one of you! You guys made this happen and we are all part of something huge. I can't fully express how grateful I am. I am in completely shocked that this happen."
This is a story of hope, and I hope that every LGBT student around the world hears it, and realizes that it can get better, it does get better. I like that we see a new openness in at least one high school, and can show other LGBT students that there is a place for them, where they can be themselves and succeed, without bullying, without taunts, without fear.
One day, I hope, gay students can be Homecoming King and Queen at every high school, and it won't make the news, and it won't be Tweeted or be a status update. It'll just be.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 AM

    This makes me so happy. In general, the further away from the coast you are, the more conservative people's values tend to be. Patrick Henry HS is inland, near San Diego State, which is why I was surprised this happened in the part of town where it did.

    All hail the king and queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:16 AM

    Great post! I couldn't agree with you more when you hope for a day when news like this will be status quo and not worthy of mention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gawd help me - I was a prom princess. There my secret is out! My poor mother survived the ordeal - the shoes, the dress, the hair, the flowers, the makeup. (The wedding was much easier.) Welcome sisters to Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the haters has flooded the school's e-mail with mess. Most of them are from other places in America

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......