Thursday, August 11, 2011

Household Art

Finally getting some of the art back on the walls.
The photo--click to really emBIGGERate--is of a window shade that I found at a winery in Amador County, California. The desk is Carlos' , from eons past, while the Bible is mine--yes, mine--and is an old family Bible. The statue on the right is called Twisted Kitty, and is made of wrought iron. i found her in a furniture store in the Mission District of San Francisco.

This is one of the many pieces of Asian-inspired art we have in the house; there's something about these things that Carlos and I both love. It sits high on the wall in the sunroom, and you can only see it when you enter the room, so it's kind of a pleasant surprise.

My mother used to do something called Tole painting, which is a type of folk art. She learned to do this from her sister, and my mom spent years painting anything and everything. This is one of the few wall-art pieces of hers that I have and it sits in the kitchen where I can see it, and smile, every day.

And, of course, this is an example of living art. The most beautiful cat in the world, Tuxedo.

6 comments:

  1. Very purty.

    The Engineer's grandmother did tole painting. When she asked him what she wanted of hers (and he was a small boy at the time) he said 'your cookie tin... full of cookies'.
    Of course that went into the family legends and, in due time, we received the cookie tin. All tole painted and loverly.

    The Engineer PUT IT IN THE DISHWASHER!
    It is now an antique-y silvery tin with no painting whatsoever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the middle one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I love seeing the pieces that others choose for their places. Your mother's painting is lovely, and I've always found oriental art soothing. Maybe it's the simplicity of it. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mom's painting!
    It makes me smile & I'm not even in your kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Handsome Kitteh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful works. Especially the cat ;)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......