Friday, October 29, 2010

I Didn't Say It......

President Obama, on marriage equality:
“I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage. But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine. And I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships. I have staff members who are in committed, monogamous relationships, who are raising children, who are wonderful parents. And I care about them deeply. And so while I’m not prepared to reverse myself here, sitting in the Roosevelt Room at 3:30 in the afternoon, I think it’s fair to say that it’s something that I think a lot about. That’s probably the best you’ll do out of me today.”
What's to "wrestle" with, Mister President?
There is no such thing as "traditional" marriage, because marriage has evolved since the beginning of time.
Used to be marriages were arranged and the bride and groom had no say.
Used to be women became the "property" of men.
Used to be one man could have many wives.
Used to be you didn't marry outside your faith.
Used to be you didn't marry outside your class.
Used to be you didn't marry outside your religion.
Used to be you didn't marry outside your race.
That isn't tradition, that's change, and evolution.

Rebecca Kleefisch, GOP candidate for lieutenant governor of Wisconsin, on marriage equality:
"This is a slippery slope. In addition to that at what point are we going to be okay marrying inanimate objects? Can I marry this table or this, you know, clock? Can we marry dogs? This is ridiculous. And biblically, again, I'm going to go right back to my fundamental Christian beliefs marriage is between one man and one woman."
No, Rebecca, what's ridiculous, and demeaning, and homophobic, is you comparing two people of the same sex, who want to be married, to bestiallity.
What's even more disgusting, is you inflicting your religious beliefs on the rest of us.
You don't beleieve in gay marriage, don't marry a gay person [props to Whoopi Goldberg for that one.]

Jamie Lee Curtis, on her father, Tony Curtis:
"The invention of Tony Curtis was his life. He was in the navy, he was present for the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay - then he became this whole other thing, he changed his name and he changed his life.
Children, as we all know, are complicated and messy. He was not a father and he was not interested in being a father. It's not a slant against him, he was very clear. He did what he was supposed to do from a financial standpoint, which was honorable of him but he was not an involved father."
Strong words, but no anger.
She completely understands that her father chose to be "Tony Curtis" and not a father, and, well, now she's okay with that.

Former Bush administration Solicitor General Ted Olson, on the Obama administration and DADT:.
"It happens every once in awhile at the federal level when the solicitor general, on behalf of the U.S., will confess error or decline to defend a law. I don't know what is going through the [Obama] administration's thought process on 'don't ask, don't tell.' It would be appropriate for them to say 'the law has been deemed unconstitutional, we are not going to seek further review of that.'"
Nicely put. The Obama administration does have the right to not pursue a law that has been deemed unconstitutional, and is, in fact, unconstitutional.

Alan Cumming, on his disappointment with Barack Obama and his administration's banning the injunction on the DADT:
"We keep hearing that Obama is an ally, that DADT will end under his watch, but what do we actually get? Diddly squat thus far on a federal level and in addition to that some very offensive statements that would have made the Republicans look bad. In a time when America is full of hatred of all kinds, but especially hatred towards young gay people, what message is the president sending when he repeatedly goes out of his way to spread the message that the gay population is not worthy of the respect that everyone else is?!"
This is also my problem with Obama.
Simple lack of action.
Simple lack of making a statement.
On the campaign trail he was full of statements regarding the LGBT community, and now, though some of his actions have been pro-LGBT, his definitive statements have all but disappeared.

Angels in America/Star Trek actor Zachary Quinto, on whether or not he's gay:
 “I’m grateful that celebrity or notoriety wasn’t thrust upon me when I was in my 20s, because I think I would have buckled under the weight of it, as so many people do, but I’ve come to realize through experience that ultimately I really do have a lot of power in terms of the way I relate to the public or to people outside of my intimate circle of friends and family. Boundaries are very important to me.
The fact that these things are such hot-button issues right now, socially and politically, I would much rather talk about that than talk about who I sleep with. I would love to be a voice in this maelstrom of chaos and obsessive celebrity infatuation that says, ‘Let’s talk about something that matters'."
Look, I don't know of he's gay, though all the blogs seem to think he is, but I do know that he is very gay-friendly, and one of the few celebrities to speak out for gay rights on a consistent basis.
That makes him all right in my book.
But, if he is gay, then he needs to come out, and carry that same inspiration for the LGBT community.

Sharron Angle, on America being destroyed by gay marriage and straight divorce, and social services:
"I confess that we are a nation who has killed our children. I confess that we are a nation who has walked away from the family and allowed divorce even among our ranks. We have walked away from the biblical definition of marriage; one man, one woman, the two become one flesh. We as a nation have been walking away from our constitutional freedom and relying on government instead to take care of the widow and the orphan...we're saying 'well, the government we have all these programs now, aid for families with dependent children and medicare and social security."
Not much left to say except that she is one crazy bitch, and Nevada, if you want her, and you elect her, then you deal with her.
Don't come cryin' to me that she's a crazy bitch, because I told you so right here.

4 comments:

  1. That Angle is one woman who is completely out of touch with reality. When was the last time she actually listened to someone from outside of her comfy bible bubble? I'm willing to guess never. She's ignorance in human form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is really alarming that Sharon Angle is so close in the Nev. race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:16 AM

    I really don't see what Obama has to wrestle with either. Makes zero sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharron Angle is a piece of work and the only reason why she's relevant is because Harry Reid is such a weak politician. If the GOP had elected someone else, Reid's seat would be gone at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......