Monday, November 02, 2009

And Then There Were None


A few days ago there was but one official Democratic candidate for governor of California, and today, at least officially--and that's the operative word--there is none.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom announced last Friday that he is withdrawing from the race, citing family responsibilities and his responsibility to the city of San Francisco.

“With a young family and responsibilities at City Hall, I have found it impossible to commit the time required to complete this effort the way it needs to — and should — be done. This is not an easy decision. But it is one made with the best intentions for my wife, my daughter, the residents of the city and county of San Francisco, and California Democrats.”

Seems simple enough, no? But many say Newsom was leery against running for governor against former California governor, and current California Attorney General, Jerry Brown.

And there are those who say Newsom was short on money and the all-important political endorsements for what is sure to be a very expensive campaign.

Whatever his reasons I am sorry to see Newsom out of the race. He is by far one of the most gay-friendly politician out there--remember he started the gay marriage ball rolling by allowing gay couples to be wed in San Francisco--and I am sure he would have done wonders for the state of California.

4 comments:

  1. we are sad in Cali about this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Oh well. It's funny we had a similar situation here in RI. Providence's openly gay Mayor David Cicilline was thinking of making a run for Governor and then backed down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he is a good guy, with lots of good ideas, but there is a huge difference between Northern and Southern California, and he would have been trashed in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't want to rain on your parade, and I know he has done a lot for gay equality, etc., but I met him when he was seeking the endorsement of the organization I used to work for. He spoke for about an hour ... all I can say is, he was one slick dude. VERY GOOD LOOKING, MOVIE STARISH, but smarmy. I really was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......