Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I Think I Love You!


In the interests of fairness, let me first say, that I think Alexi Giannoulias is hot.

And then, it turns out he's smart, he open and accepting, and he's gay friendly.

Illinois Senate candidate Alexi Giannoulias favors legalization of same-sex marriage and, if elected, would seek to repeal a federal law that defines marriage as being between one man and one woman.

I didn't hear him mince any words. Plain spoken. To the point. And, yes, still hot.

Giannoulias also believes individual states should be able to decide for themselves whether they allow same-sex couples to marry, but that all states should be required to afford legal recognition to same-sex marriages performed in states where they are sanctioned. He would require the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages, now prohibited by the Defense of Marriage Act, something he wants repealed. He says this would have the effect, in part, of allowing gay and lesbian couples to file joint federal income tax returns and receive Social Security survivor benefits.

To top it off, he wants to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

"This goes to what this country was founded on -- equality and fairness," said Giannoulias, emphasizing that he sees same-sex marriage as a constitutional and legal issue in the context of past civil rights struggles.

I say, Go on with your hot, bad self Alexi!

And gay activists in Illinois believe that Giannoulias, currently the state treasurer, is the first major candidate in a statewide race to stake out a position in favor of gay marriage.

Alexi Giannoulias: "This is what I believe in, and I'm sure not everyone is going to agree with me....I'd like to think the public is more accepting of gay and lesbian couples in committed relationships. It could be risky, but it's what I believe....While marriage as a religious institution should be governed by people's faith and the tenets of their religion, marriage as a civil institution should be governed by principles of fairness. Civil marriage should be equal for all people and provide the same protections under the law, with all legal rights and responsibilities. They're equal rights."

Giannoulias also believes people will look back on the marriage equality debate 10 or 15 years from now and "be amazed we didn't do this sooner."

In an Alexi Giannoulias world, and wouldn't it be a hot hot world.....okay, I'll stop.....a same-sex couple from Illinois who get married in Iowa, where gay marriage became legal earlier this year, would have the same rights here as a married heterosexual couple. Those rights like: inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, equal pension and health care benefits and all other legal protections granted married couples.

"I don't think we're asking for special rights," Giannoulias said. "They're equal rights."

Alexi Giannoulias, I think I love you.

7 comments:

  1. Even his name is hot. How can anyone not love someone named Alexi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and rational! I've seen him on TV and think he's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn...how positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus. He's hot. Did you notice that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Moon: Why, I think you may be right. I hadn't really noticed! =)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......