Friday, June 05, 2009

Talk To The Animals


I know people talk to their pets.

I do.

When MaxGoldberg comes up to me, I ask him if he wants a kissy-kissy....I know....and he puts his head up to my mouth and I kiss the top of his head. I ask again and again, and he does it again and again.

I tell Tuxedo it's time for bed and he gallops down the hallway into the bedroom. I ask if he's hungry and he runs to the kitchen.

Tallulah, well, she's a bit deranged, in a Streetcar Named Desire kind of Southern lady deranged, and she'll only come to you, to me, if I say, in a high-pitched voice, which isn't easy, even for a lifelong 'mo like myself, Morning Mommy.

I know!

But last night, I thought I'd heard it all.

Ozzo, our little shoebox mutt, had gotten into something and had a bug bit on his side. All day he was licking, scratching, and biting at the spot, and when Carlos got home, he decided to bathe the runt to cleanse him of his need for the aforementioned scratching and biting.

I thought, Good idea, and suggested a tea cup and eye dropper for bath time. He really is a small dog. I have shoes bigger.

I digress.

Carlos bathes Ozzo, and then lets him loose to run around the house. Then Carlos gets some kind of ointment to rub on the bite and gently massages it into Ozzo's fur.

And it happens.

Carlos says, sincerely, looking deeply into Ozzo's eyes, "Now, stop licking. You want this to get better, don't you? Okay, then, stop biting at it. Stop scratching it. Stop licking it. Are you listening to me, Ozzo. You need to stop doing that. If you want it to get better, you have to leave it alone."

All this was said to a dog that doesn't know what Sit means.

Oy!

12 comments:

  1. chortle!
    Of course we talk to the labbies. And they understand and talk back. Right now I'm getting intel that it is vitamin time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to Izzy all the time. He understands a lot, but whether he follows through, well, that is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we talk to Sheeba, and he talks back. (It's odd, but he has a vaguely Russian accent.) We sometimes have very interesting conversations with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these stories!

    My cat understands what I'm saying, and I usually know what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sing Scissor Sisters songs to my cat in an exaggerated Southern accent.

    I am not making this up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ain't love grand?

    We can't help talking to our animals. It may be why animal owners live longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, but that is just freaking cute!

    It's a good thing dogs CAN'T understand most things we say, cause I'm sure my little 8 month old malti-poo wouldn't like me calling him a "Butt-sniffing, perverted little bastard" all the time. He is neutered and will NOT leave my female (spade) dogs butt alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my cats are divas, especially Hera, she so curious and independent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always talk to Buster. And even when I'm not, his face is always in my bussiness anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love these Carlos & Bob stories!

    We talk to our pets all they time, and they frequently respond. Not verbally, but behaviorally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oz is like Luis, he has selective hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. and how about house plants?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......