Friday, June 05, 2009

Radio Asshats

I used to live in Sacramento. It was a nice place to live. I used to listen to KRXQ, one of the local radio stations. Imagine my surprise to learn that several on-air personalities recently took to the airwaves to discuss transgender children, and what should be done to them. This idiocy went on for quite some time, but here are the choice bits of bigotry, stupidity, and general asshattedness:
  • ROB WILLIAMS [11:12]: This is a weird person who is demanding attention. And when it’s a child, all it takes is a hug, maybe some tough love or anything in between. When your little boy said, ‘Mommy, I want to walk around in a dress.’ You tell them no cause that’s not what boys do. But that’s not what we’re doing in this culture.
  • ARNIE STATES [13:27]: If my son, God forbid, if my son put on a pair of high heels, I would probably hit him with one of my shoes. I would throw a shoe at him. Because you know what? Boys don’t wear high heels. And in my house, they definitely don’t wear high heels.
  • ROB WILLIAMS [17:45]: Dawn, they are freaks. They are abnormal. Not because they’re girls trapped in boys bodies but because they have a mental disorder that needs to be somehow gotten out of them. That’s where therapy could help them.
  • ROB WILLIAMS [18:15]: Or because they were molested. You know a lot of times these transgenders were molested. And you need to work with them on that. The point is you don’t allow the behavior. You cure the cause!
  • ARNIE STATES [21:30]: You got a boy saying, ‘I wanna wear dresses.’ I’m going to look at him and go, ‘You know what? You’re a little idiot! You little dumbass! Look, you are a boy! Boys don’t wear dresses.’
  • ARNIE STATES [29:22]: You know, my favorite part about hearing these stories about the kids in high school, who the entire high school caters around, lets the boy wear the dress. I look forward to when they go out into society and society beats them down. And they end up in therapy.
I first read about this trash on the GLAAD website. GLAAD demanded an apology and, at first, calls and emails to the station went unanswered.
I'm all for free speech, even when it's stupid, but in this day and age, when so many children being bullied, do we need a radio station, and their so-called 'talent' urging the beating of anyone? I don't think so.
Many advertisers are pulling their money out of KRXQ; companies like Snapple, Sonic, and Chipotle. Sonic released this statement:
Sonic wants to assure you that the views of this station are in no way related to the views of Sonic. Sonic was alerted to the May 28th segment only yesterday and immediately began researching the segment, show and Sonic’s planned advertising on the station. SONIC in no way condones violence toward children and does not wish to be associated with media content that condones or promotes such activity in any way. We have decided to immediately withdraw advertising from this station and have notified the station of our decision.
Gotta go now. I'm off to Sonic for a Foot-Long Coney and Tots. And to say 'Thanks.'

3 comments:

  1. Wow, majorly offensive. Good for Sonic and others for pulling their ads off that station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Free speech" is overrated when it's hate speech. I've had it with these folks, and the harm they're doing to LGBT kids is inexcusable. these morons really are evil, because they're really just doing it for the bucks. disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. teachers are so keenly aware of the attitudes children bring from home. on parent nights when the kids are doing their thing, often they say things that are shocking they didn't say rehearsing their parts in research projects they are showing off. On enight I looked at the parens and said "they got this from somewhere but certainly not this classroom". The kids had been railing against our Somalians as welfare dependents draining the system. It had nothing to do with the research we did, so i knew they were hearing it at supper tables. My principal was really pissed at me. Only one parent came to the rescue asking " did any of you find any research data comparing how long they remain on welfare compared to our own people?"

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......