Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Speaking As A "Gift From God"


Now, I rarely watch Oprah unless it's something really good, and it hardly ever is; I mean, for me, Oprah is quite full of herself.....which may explain that tragic weight gain.....ba-dump-bump....thank you! I'll be here all week!!

But I had been reading about an appearance by the Reverend Ed Bacon who said, on her show, in response to a young man who told of his tough times growing up gay in Alabama....or South Carolina....or Florida or California or Idaho...because, let's face it, it's tough growing up gay anywhere....that being gay was a "gift from God."

Holy fire and brimstone, Batman!

Now, this is exactly what he said, and pay close attention:
'Being gay is a gift from God, but our culture doesn't understand that. And consequently, the culture sends messages that you ought to isolate. And isolation is the antithesis of what all of us need.'

So, Reverend Bacon, if we don't treat all people as 'gifts from god' then we are separating people, making people feel 'less than;' isolating people? And that isn't good, right?

Not according to a bunch of Oprahnuts. The fanatics went bananas.

From what I read they stormed Oprah's message boards and bombarded it with all kinds of vitriol, masked as Bible loving Christian ideals of one man/one woman blah blah blah blah shut up already! We're here; we're queer, build a fucking bridge and get over it already!
Oy! Or as I say in this bilingual household: Oy mi madre!

I looked through the message boards and could scarcely find any responses of people who agreed with Bacon, which confirmed my suspicions that many Oprah followers, at least the fanatics who post their every dim-witted thought that was spoon-fed to them by their beer-swilling husbands and sermon-bashing ministers, are apron-wearing, cookie-baking, church-going, Bible-thumping, beehive-wearing, holier-than-thou-spouting nitwits.

After treading through miles of hate, looking for an inch or two of intelligent thought and discussion, I was fascinated to learn that the Reverend Ed Bacon would be back on Oprah yesterday to talk about his remarks.

I tuned in, and this was just fabulous:
Oprah: So, Reverend, what exactly did you mean by gays being a 'gift from god'?
Reverend Bacon: I meant exactly what I said...It is so important for every human being to understand that he or she is a gift from God.'

Smack!
I. Meant. Exactly. What. I. Said.

Good for you,. Reverend Bacon. Good for you.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! First off, how canyou hate someone named BACON? I LOVE bacon!!!

    and he. is. so. right people!!!!! EVERYONE is a gift from God...God loves ALL people...not just the ones you THINK he should love. God has something for EVERYONE. When will people realize this truth?

    Now, I'm not here to thump the Bible, but I do love me some Jesus.

    Good For Rev Bacon(ator).

    Have you had one of those baconators at Burger King??!! They are HUGE and my grand dughter can eat one all by herself. I'm so proud.

    XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......