Friday, January 02, 2009

A Birthday Song To Remember


There is one of those urban legends that had Julie Andrews rewriting the lyrics of My Favorite Things to sing on her 69th birthday. The legend seems to be false, but on New Year's Day, at Neal and David's house, our hosts performed the song for Matt on his 80th birthday, and needed to change only one word in doing so.
Enjoy

Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up with strings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the pipes leak,
When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets, and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or foods cooked with onion,
Bathrobes and heat pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Back pains, confused brains, and no fear of sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken things,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache,
When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
The I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that performance..and you got the lyrics...amazing. Ain't it a hoot? and more especially since she was looking fit as a fiddle at the time and still looks great. glad you found this.
    xoxoxcharlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Is it bad that I totally relate to those lyrics???

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......